Sunday, January 14, 2024

Using My Spanish

If things had gone as planned with the 3-year cruise I signed up for in March 2023 (no one went), I would have spent all of December in Brazil, and then visited Montevideo, Uruguay. It would have been a relief to be in a Spanish speaking country after so long being where I don’t know the language.


I took up Spanish at the beginning of the pandemic using the Duolingo app. So, communication wouldn’t have been a problem. The weather would have been a vast improvement too. It stayed in the high 70’s while we were scheduled to visit the area. Neither wind nor humidity would have been an issue either.


As the capital of Uruguay, Montevideo is a major city with a large population. It’s on a lovely bay and has the kind of architecture I enjoy. There’s lots of Art Deco buildings in the Ciudad Vieja (Old Town) along with historic colonial homes, churches, museums, theaters, and landmarks.


The city was ranked number one for the quality of life in Latin America in 2019. It stayed number one through 2005. It’s considered a “global city” and has a vibrant economy. This would make it a lovely place to live and to visit.

We were only scheduled to stay in Montevideo for one day. That’s a pity since it has so much to offer. I would have liked to spend a full day in the Old Town and another taking an organized city tour, (at about $48 per person). Since it has a vibrant theater culture, I would have found a play or concert to attend in the evening. But with only one day in the city, I would have spent it in Old town. Art Deco is one of my favorite types of architecture.

To learn more about Uruguay, CLICK HERE (ad). 


You’re reading from the blog, EnjoytheViewTouring.com.

Sign up to be notified when I post something new.

Have K-12 kids? Then you'll want my book, Free College, to show you how to help your kids earn lots of college scholarships, CLICK HERE

As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.  





No comments:

Post a Comment

Seeing the Sights - Salzburg