Saturday, February 17, 2024

Trust Your Gut, Peru

 


If things had gone as planned with the 3-year cruise I signed up for in March 2023 (Oh, well.), I would have spent two days visiting Callao, Peru. However, the area where the ship was to dock is listed by every source I checked as one of the most dangerous places to visit in Peru. Before getting off the ship, I would have made sure this was not the case.

Most likely, I would have stayed on board, or just visited the little artist vendors at the pier, but right next to the ship. No wandering around. Hopping on a bus for a ride to see Lima might sound inviting, but I wouldn’t risk it. The crime I read about is organized, and violent. I don’t know this from firsthand experience, of course, but why risk it?

When a single woman travels alone, especially to far away places, she must learn to listen to her gut. When reviewers on TripAdvisor raise a red flag, I pay attention. Sure, there was a disclaimer by TripAdvisor, but again, better safe than sorry. There are hundreds of places on my 3-year-round the world itinerary and skipping one wouldn’t matter in the long run.


If this information had been positive, instead of negative, I would have paid for an excursion to Lima since there are few cultural or architectural attractions in Callao. I visited Peru in 2017 and saw the lovely sand dunes. On this trip, I was interested in seeing the city. I saw a “highlights” tour for just over $100. That would have fit my budget, since I’m not into buying souvenirs.  


The Barranco neighborhood seems to be somewhere I would hang out for awhile. There are lots of art, shopping, restaurants, and stunning architecture. I also like historic centers, and would have enjoyed seeing the old government buildings in Lima. 


In addition to secular buildings, there are several lovely churches in Lima. I would have visited a few before going to the coast. 


I would have ended my visit to Lima in the neighborhood of Miraflores. There are stunning hotels, shops and other points of interest in what I read is a safe area. Then, I would have jumped on my tour bus, and headed back to the ship. Depending upon what I found when I first arrived in Callao, some or none of this would have happened on this trip. It's too bad. The topography in Peru is very different from SoCal where I live,  and I would have enjoyed seeing more of it. 


 

You’re reading from the blog, EnjoytheViewTouring.com.

Sign up to be notified when I post something new.

Have K-12 kids? Then you'll want my book, Free College, to show you how to help your kids earn lots of college scholarships, CLICK HERE.

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

 

 




 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Seeing the Sights - Salzburg