Saturday, January 20, 2024

Don't Cry for Me

 

If things had gone as planned with the 3-year cruise I signed up for in March 2023 (all my money was refunded), I would have spent four days this month in Argentina. The first city we would have visited is Buenos Aires, the capital of the country. Two days isn’t enough for this big, cosmopolitan city. However, the weather cooperated, was only 81 degrees, with pleasant humidity. It’s summer there, and these conditions would have been a welcome relief from the tropics.

It's yet another coastal city with gorgeous neoclassical architecture. I would have taken an organized half day city tour first ($55/adult), since it’s so large. I have done this in every large city I have visited over the years. It gives me an overview and lets me know where I want to spend more time.

I’ve heard about Recoleta in Buenos Aires before. It consists of a series of palaces and mansions designed by French architects. It resembles parts of Paris because of this. It’s one of the places I would spend extra time, perhaps wandering the streets and then having lunch with the locals in a restaurant there. I always enjoy breaking away from the tourist spots and finding where the locals dine. Never had a bad experience doing so.

The last place I would enjoy spending some time is the Bosques de Palermo. It’s the largest park in Buenos Aires, and well maintained. There are lakes with geese and ducks, as well as manicured lawns and rose gardens. Roses have a special place in my heart, as I once had a garden of twenty-four bushes. Since I lived in Southern California, they bloomed all year. My house was full of their scent. I miss that.



After a full day at sea, my favorite place, we would have visited the port city of Bahia Blanca. There’s more stunning architecture here, like what can be found in Buenos Aires. There are also many gorgeous parks, some near the coast. Honestly, I would probably stay onboard the ship instead of going ashore to explore. The city so much like Buenos Aires, although smaller, I would relax on the ship, enjoying the peace and quiet after most passengers left for the day. It would be a great time to have a pedicure and manicure, maybe even a haircut.

The final city we would have visited in Argentina is Puerto Madryn, which is on the northern edge of Patagonia. I was excited to visit here, sadly it was not to be. The coastline is the draw for me. There are wide sandy beaches and stunning cliffs. Add to this a vibrant city and the interesting addition of the Welsh language, and it would have been fascinating to stay for the day (or more). 

I would have spent the one day allowed by the itinerary on a small boat seeking out wildlife such as orcas and right whales. I'm sure we would have spotted Magellanic penguins too, since there are over 1,500,000 of them in the area. I understand no cruise, even one three years long, can stay several days in each port, but Patagonia deserves more than one day. I would have been sad to leave after such a short stop. 


You’re reading from the blog, EnjoytheViewTouring.com.

Sign up to be notified when I post something new.

Have K-12 kids? Then you'll want my book, Free College, to show you how to help your kids earn lots of college scholarships, CLICK HERE.


As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.


 

 




 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Seeing the Sights - Salzburg