Monday, January 29, 2024

Baby, It's Cold Outside

 


If things had gone as planned with the 3-year cruise I signed up for in March 2023 (I lost time due to the cancellation, but no money), I would have visited both the Falkland Islands and Antarctica this month. We would have also had several sea days, which I enjoy most about cruising. The weather as we traveled south would have become colder, rainy, and windy. I would have missed spending time outside walking on the deck.


I took a cruise south from Los Angeles towards Cape Horn about five years ago. I enjoyed that cruise very much. There was lots to see and do, plus the weather cooperated. As we headed south, I realized I wouldn’t enjoy the last leg of the cruise, so I disembarked near Santiago, Chile and flew home instead of completing the itinerary. I wouldn’t have had this luxury on my 3-year cruise. But as with other long cruises I have taken, there would be plenty to do while onboard and new friends to make.

Heartier people than I would enjoy disembarking on the islands. Although the terrain is rugged near the cliffs along the coast, there’s both birdlife and sheep farms to see. In town, there’s the Falkland Islands Museum, with themed galleries focused on maritime exploration and natural history. It would be a pleasant visit and easy for passengers to enjoy, since the island’s native language is English. This would have been a welcome break after so much Portuguese and Spanish.



After a few more days at sea, yippee, we would have arrived in Antarctica. Our first stop would have been Deception Island. It’s in the South Shetland Islands, close to the Antarctic Peninsula. Although it’s summer in the southern hemisphere, it would be far too cold for me, in the mid 30’s. Again, hearty passengers, those without health conditions when breathing cold air, would love it.


The terrain was created by an active volcano, and it shows. There are no inhabitants on the island, except for wildlife, seals, whales, penguins, and other varieties of birds. Photographers would go nuts. Even if shooting from the deck of the ship, with the right lenses, photographs would be stunning.



The second cold, cold stop would have been Half Moon Island. It’s farther south, and colder. The terrain is a mix, but what impresses me the most is the rock outcrops and cliffs. Lovely. The sea is also impressive, as it is very blue and clear. Of course, there are few visitors to mess it up.


I doubt we would have been allowed to visit the island itself, although I know some ships do visit remote, uninhabited islands. Our cruise ship was small enough to get close, drop anchor and let us observe from a safe distance. We wouldn't have been a scientific group, so I think going ashore wouldn't be allowed. The safety I referred to is not for the passengers, but for the wildlife and vegetation.

After leaving, we would have rounded Cape Horn and headed north. Although seeing the wildlife would have been fabulous, and taking photographs enjoyable, the cold temperatures would have been hard on me, asthma stinks. Going north, therefore, would mean I could take laps around the deck outside, and perhaps go ashore. I know the next few stops on the itinerary would have been familiar territory for me. I know I liked them in the past, and would no doubt find them pleasurable.




 You’re reading from the blog, EnjoytheViewTouring.com.

Sign up to be notified when I post something new.

Have K-12 kids? Then you'll want my book, Free College, to show you how to help your kids earn lots of college scholarships, CLICK HERE.


As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Seeing the Sights - Salzburg