Monday, December 11, 2023

A Little France in Brazil

 

If things had gone as planned with the 3-year cruise I signed up for in March 2023 (sadly went pear-shaped), I would be in São Luís, Brazil today. This city unlike the others we were to visit so far, was settled by the French in 1612. The original name was Saint-Louis-de-Maragnan. It’s the largest city, and capital of the Brazilian state of Maranhão. Since I taught French for several decades, this should be fun for me.

Another fun fact, the weather is more to my liking there today, but will go right back up by ten degrees after we leave. It only hit 80 degrees today, although the humidity is still high, at 81%. This will be another challenge for my asthma, which is why I’d take along my rescue inhaler and my portable nebulizer, CLICK HERE (ad). 

The city is a UNESCO World Heritage site because it still has the original street plan. I’m hoping for lots of gorgeous architecture too. São Luis is located on an island, with two estuaries. I’m sure this means there will be many birds here. I’d make sure my iPhone was fully charged to take photos. There are also several universities nearby, which means the city will be alive with young people. As a retired teacher, I find the buzz this creates invigorating.  

The city is also known for its use of tiles, especially in the historical city center. I’d definitely visit this part of the city and take a private walking tour at a cost of about $45 per adult. Sao Luis has the nickname, The Tiles City and Brazilian Athens. 

I would make sure to be in the city center for lunch, find a nice restaurant and enjoy Reggae music with my meal. Reggae is very popular here, almost as much as it is in Jamaica. From what I’ve learned about the transportation system in the area, it would be easy to get around either by bus or their inter-city rail system. After a full day, it would be back to the cruise ship to decompress and take a much needed shower. 


You’re reading from the blog, EnjoytheViewTouring.com.

Sign up to be notified when I post something new.

Have K-12 kids? Then you'll want my book, Free College, to show you how to help your kids earn lots of college scholarships, CLICK HERE.

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Seeing the Sights - Salzburg