Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Good Friends Help with Planning


Sunday, March 26, 2023

I woke up this morning having made an executive decision about my car. I’m not going to leave it with my nieces for three years and let them drive it like I had planned. Instead, I’m going to find a place close to where I live now and store it. I looked online and found all sorts of options, but unfortunately my car is 1 inch too long to fit the 10 x 15‘storage units. That extra 1 inch means I must rent a 10‘x 20‘unit which is, of course, way more money. I looked online and found several options. I checked to see what they had, and actually found 10‘x 20‘storage units. but most of them are upstairs. No help.

I called Public Storage and talked to a nice young man named Tyler. He explained their 15’ storage units are exactly that, 15’ precisely. Bummer. So now I know I need a 10’ x 20’ unit, more money. He also told me he can only see availability for 2 weeks going forward. My options are getting narrower. It looks like I may have to wait until the last minute to find a storage solution for my car or sell it.

Just had a series of phone calls with my friend, Connie. We brainstormed solutions to logistical problems. The number one is, of course, my car. She convinced me the easiest solution would be to sell it. There would be no ongoing automotive costs incurred. It would also mean I could rent the smallest storage unit for the few pieces of furniture I want to keep. 

That’s another positive. When I get back, who knows what life will be like? When I returned from living in South Africa for two years, 1997-1999, much had shifted, and I had to adjust. After all, I might want to use Uber instead of driving. It would certainly cost less each month than operating a car.

This afternoon I ordered earphones, CLICK HERE (ad) for my cruise, and a cute little stuffed critter I named Bob. Bob will sit in the seat next to me if I am ever sitting with new friends at a table with an empty seat. Been there. Done that. Was once asked to go sit with strangers so a married couple could sit together at a wine tasting in Bordeaux, France. Life lesson. Nope. Never again. Ruined the excursion for me.


You’re reading from the blog, EnjoytheViewTouring.com

Sign up to be notified when I post something new.

Have K-12 kids? Then you'll want my book, Free College, to show you how to help your kids earn lots of college scholarships, CLICK HERE.

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.


8 comments:

  1. Sell your car. Unless it's a very special car that you LOVE. So many things can go wrong... https://www.jdpower.com/cars/shopping-guides/how-to-store-a-car-long-term

    (just found your blog via CNN)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    2. I too want to subscribe to your blog for notifications.

      Delete
    3. Another wannabe subscriber...a fix forthcoming?

      Delete
    4. Sorry, was really busy getting Hepatitis A & B shots. They have to be timed 6 months apart. But, yes. I believe the issue is resolved now. Sorry about the glitch. Enjoy.

      Delete
    5. Thanks for the advice. I came to this conclusion too. One reason, the storage units are one inch shorter than my Rav4. Several other valid reasons too.

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to following your adventures and learning from your experiences. My wife and I love the concept, and your sharing will certainly shape the types of cruises we select. By the way, would you consider a video post as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, William! Yes. I'm sure to post videos once the trip has started. I hope to take lots of photos and record videos on excursions.

      Delete

Seeing the Sights - Salzburg