Tuesday, November 21, 2023

Puerto Rico, My Heart's Devotion

 

If things had gone as planned with the 3-year cruise I signed up for in March 2023 (didn’t happen), I would be arriving in San Juan, Puerto Rico today. Every time I hear the name, Puerto Rico, I’m a child again listening to Rita Moreno sing in West Side Story. This is the album I had as a child, CLICK HERE (ad). So, I was really looking forward to visiting. Sadly, it’s another place I may never see, as my 3-year cruise didn’t go as planned.

I have visited the southern part of the Caribbean several times, always while on a cruise. I’ve never visited the northern part nearer the US. We were scheduled to dock in San Juan, the capital of Puerto Rico.

I would have spent most of my time in Old San Juan, where there are cobblestone streets and Spanish colonial buildings and landmarks. I would have taken a guided tour to see the Castillo San Felipe del Morro, a citadel built between the 16th and 18th centuries. It boggles my mind that such old buildings still exist. After all, I’m from Southern California, where anything old is usually torn down, and replaced with a new soulless building.

I’m sure the crew on our ship would have arranged Salsa lessons for the passengers. Although I used to know how to dance the Salsa, I’ve forgotten. So, I would have taken advantage of the lessons, CLICK HERE (ad). It’s fun learning new dances and refreshing those long forgotten. It’s good exercise too and allows me not to feel guilty about sitting on deck while others do something physically challenging.

Cave and waterfall exploration are two such activities. I wouldn’t do either at my age, but when younger… nope. Wouldn’t do them then either. I know Murphy personally. You know, Murphy from Murphy’s Law fame? Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong. I’m far too wise to risk a sprained or broken ankle when spending a fortune to go on a round-the-world cruise.

There are also private sailing excursions offered from San Juan. Depending upon price, I would have selected one to experience. I gave myself a budget for excursions. So far, my spending would be below my budget, so it’s likely I would have taken advantage of one of the lower cost sailing trips.

A free activity would be walking through the town, enjoying the art and culture. I find little shops are often full of artwork and jewelry. In the past, I brought back such items when on shorter trips. I wouldn’t have while on this trip. My plan was to collect experiences, memories and photographs, not souvenirs.


You’re reading from the blog, EnjoytheViewTouring.com

Sign up to be notified when I post something new.

Have K-12 kids? Then you'll want my book, Free College, to show you how to help your kids earn lots of college scholarships, CLICK HERE.

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Seeing the Sights - Salzburg